2.6.2 Completion Functions
Here is the complete list of callable completion functions present in
- Function: int rl_complete_internal (int what_to_do)
- Complete the word at or before point. what_to_do says what to do
with the completion. A value of `?' means list the possible
completions. `TAB' means do standard completion. `*' means
insert all of the possible completions. `!' means to display
all of the possible completions, if there is more than one, as well as
performing partial completion.
- Function: int rl_complete (int ignore, int invoking_key)
- Complete the word at or before point. You have supplied the function
that does the initial simple matching selection algorithm (see
The default is to do filename
completion. This calls
rl_complete_internal() with an
argument depending on invoking_key.
- Function: int rl_possible_completions (int count, int invoking_key)
- List the possible completions. See description of
(). This calls
rl_complete_internal() with an argument of
- Function: int rl_insert_completions (int count, int invoking_key)
- Insert the list of possible completions into the line, deleting the
partially-completed word. See description of
rl_complete_internal() with an argument of `*'.
- Function: char ** rl_completion_matches (const char *text, rl_compentry_func_t *entry_func)
- Returns an array of strings which is a list of completions for
text. If there are no completions, returns
The first entry in the returned array is the substitution for text.
The remaining entries are the possible completions. The array is
terminated with a
entry_func is a function of two args, and returns a
char *. The first argument is text. The second is a
state argument; it is zero on the first call, and non-zero on subsequent
calls. entry_func returns a
NULL pointer to the caller
when there are no more matches.
- Function: char * rl_filename_completion_function (const char *text, int state)
- A generator function for filename completion in the general case.
text is a partial filename.
The Bash source is a useful reference for writing custom
completion functions (the Bash completion functions call this and other
- Function: char * rl_username_completion_function (const char *text, int state)
- A completion generator for usernames. text contains a partial
username preceded by a random character (usually `~'). As with all
completion generators, state is zero on the first call and non-zero
for subsequent calls.
This document was generated
by (Blade) GNU s/w Owner on November, 10 2001